Time to get on your party clothes! It’s National Poison Prevention Week!
Seriously, the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center has compiled a list of the top 10 categories of pet poisoning that they get calls about.
Read through it and think about what you can do to make your home safer for your pets (and probably your people, too)!
1. Prescription Human Medications
The top three types of medications that animals were exposed to include: heart medications, antidepressants and pain medications. A common way this happens is when a human accidentally drops his medication and an enterprising pooch snatches it up. We all know dogs that sit in the kitchen waiting for us to drop something, don’t we?
Insecticides are used in the yard, home and on our animals. Some are very toxic. Always read the label before using any insecticide on your pet, in your home or in your yard. And store them very carefully.
3. Over-the-Counter Human Medications
Over-the-counter human products, such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen and herbal supplements can be tasty to pets, and some can be life-threatening if ingested. We all know dogs that sit in the kitchen waiting for us to drop something, don’t we?
4. Household Products
Household toxins range from fire logs to cleaning products. Think storage, storage, storage. Think of your pets as toddlers and toddler proof your home.
5. People Food
Human foods are especially appealing to pets, and most especially dogs. Dogs can get themselves into serious trouble by ingesting onions/garlic, grapes/raisins and xylitol, a sugar substitute which can be life-threatening for animals.
6. Veterinary Products and Medications
Flavored tablets make it easy to give your pet pain or joint medication, but it also makes it more likely for them to ingest the entire bottle if given the chance. Toddler proof your home.
Chocolate is still the number one people food that pets ingest. Too much chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate and seizures. Save your chocolate for yourself and everyone will be happier.
8. Rat poisons
When putting out baits to kill mice and rats, never underestimate the resourcefulness of your pet to find and eat those tasty morsels. Depending on the type of poison, ingestion can cause internal bleeding, kidney failure or seizures. Toddler proof your home. Or, better yet, get a cat!
This is one category that cats lead dogs in the number of exposures. Lilies can cause kidney failure and death in cats. The ASPCA has a comprehensive list of toxic and non-toxic plants on its website.
10. Lawn and Garden Products
Fertilizers, which can be made of dried blood, poultry manure and bone meal (Yum!) are very attractive to pets. Toddler proof your gardening shed. Cocoa bark mulch smells heavenly but can harm dogs because it contains chocolate. Find another mulch.
If you have any reason to suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, don’t wait.
Please contact your veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.
Speaking of things that pets eat – could you donate some dry Purina cat or kitten food to the Humane Society?
We use a lot of it for our foster cats.
You could just drop it off any time is our outer office at 265 W. First St., Oswego, NY or call us at 207-1070 and we will make arrangements. Thanks!
The Oswego County Humane Society provides spay/neuter services and assistance, fostering and adoption of animals in urgent need, humane education programs, and information and referrals to animal lovers throughout Oswego County.
Our office is located at 265 W. First St., Oswego, NY.
Phone: (315) 207-1070.
Because People and Pets Are Good for Each Other!